Friday, November 03, 2006

Catapulted

The pilot seemed to enjoy himself on takeoff. There was a little more thrust involved than I remember from this past summer’s flights. I feel like I am being catapulted from Chattanooga to Cincinnati in a giant arc. I suppose it’s not much different from being catapulted, except that someone is steering the load.

Sometimes when I leave my work—located on the beautiful Signal Mountain—and drive down to my house nestled in its shadow, I have a similar feeling. With the car in third and fourth, I can navigate the entire descent without touching the brake or gas pedals. It feels like I am riding down the mountain on a glorified roller skate. It’s not a giant leap of imagination. First, you get a giant roller skate. Sit in the heel and add a seat belt, airbag, and a steering wheel. If you want to upgrade just a little, put in some leather seats with built-in heaters and a sound system that rivals the one in your house. Then, scooch up to the edge a mountain and push off. If you happen to have a brake, you might want to keep it handy until after the first corner. That’s where the rightfully zealous Signal Mountain Police check to see if you are traveling 41 miles per hour instead of 40. (Seriously.)

As the small jet leaps into the air, the city spreads out before me, ever diminishing, an inverse pointillist drawing of lights in blackness. The first thing that stands out is the wide, curving, dark swath of the Tennessee River cutting through the clustery mass of city lights and the tangled sinuous streets. The second thing is the very definite border of the city, defined by the base of Walden’s Ridge, of which Signal Mountain is a part. Then I see a bridge crossing the river and deduce that it is the one on Highway 153. “If that’s true,” I think, “then there should be another bridge just down river.” Oriented, I begin to label the town. Hixson, very bright. Downtown—a grid and a stadium.

I begin to look for my house. I know I won’t be able to see my porch light, but I wonder how close I’ll be able to pinpoint its location. Between Hixson and downtown I look for something familiar. I look for the streetlights on Dayton Boulevard. They are new, but they look old, and they are very bright. They caused some controversy for a while; someone told us they made Dayton Boulevard look like a runway. “Well, I should be able to find it, then,” I think.

But I don’t see anything like a runway. Highway 27 becomes apparent to me—a double ribbon unlit save for the fluid drops of cars flowing in opposing directions. From there I find Mountain Creek road, running along the base of the mountain, Morrison Springs Road intersecting it at the bright lights of the high school athletic fields, connecting to Dayton Boulevard at our new, well-lit Bi-Lo. And there are the streetlights; not a virtual runway, but brighter than the other streets. The lights begin at Morrison Springs Road and my eyes travel one mile south, connecting the dots, to the very last bright spot. That last light, as I well know, is on the corner of my street; one inch to the right is my house.

I really wish I were there.

It’s 7:00. Dinner is over, but it’s not quite bath time. Nothing good is on TV. They are reading board books, doing dishes, or getting a Flintstone vitamin.

I am flying to St. Louis to meet with people from the U. S. Department of Education, a research group, and a select number of other teachers that also present professional development sessions during the summer. I will sleep in a huge and comfortable bed, eat $50 steaks with a glass of merlot, and get a week’s pay to do it.

I am amazed at how quickly we are over Walden’s Ridge—barely a stumbling block—and passing the Sequatchie Valley. Probably less than a minute. I bet the pilot can already see the lights of Cincinnati from up here.

I’m sure my wife cannot understand my mixed feelings for going to St. Louis this weekend. She would give anything, I bet, to experience the weekend I just described. And I am going to enjoy it, but the pleasure is rolled in some guilt at leaving her with two young children and a sadness at not being with her. The trips last summer were the same way: the presenting was thrilling; eating dinner with DoE personnel while discussing everything from educational issues to family pets was surreal; the hotels are so luxurious—more than I could afford on a family trip. But the travel is so unpleasant, the time away from my family so distasteful. I felt like I was flung from one end of the summer to the other, and the landing was a little harsh. At least it was only three trips, I mused. That was manageable. Then, at the end of last summer, all of us teachers were asked to create at least one more presentation, which would mean more speaking opportunities. Plus, we were asked to come to this weekend meeting in early November. It’s like a tar baby, but at least it tastes like caramel.

Well, the landing in Cincinnati was just as graceless as the takeoff, although seemingly more unintentional. A new pilot is taking us to St. Louis now, and now I’m more certain that the first pilot used excessive thrust in takeoff. I hope he enjoyed himself.

Sometimes—and this usually happens in fall—I feel like my life is on a train that is ever-increasing its speed and heading towards a car stalled on the tracks. The first few chug-chugs 30 years ago were slow as it crept out of the station. When I was eight, I remember thinking that I wouldn’t have my driver’s license for another whole lifetime. When I was twelve, it seemed a little different. I could remember four years before; I tried to imagine that distance in time ahead of me. It no longer seemed an eternity, but it was still too far to see. It wasn’t until I was seventeen with no real plans for the future, two classmates dead, and my friends’ parents getting divorces that I felt a bit unprepared for the speed life was taking. Earlier this year I mentioned a book that I read 15 years ago. 15 years ago, I was reading books like To Kill a Mockingbird. I almost hadn't realized I'd been alive that long.

Most of the year, I’m OK with the swift current of life—I feel like I have my priorities right and I am enjoying every moment with my wife and my children. But in fall, life feels like sand slipping through my fingers. It’s a bad time of year to fly to St. Louis inbetween work weeks.

It’s amazing how far you can see up here. The curve of the earth is distinct in the daytime, but even at night, the electric lights of civilization belie it. It’s also amazing how many lights there are, even outside of the cities. There are enough lights that the Tennessee, Ohio, and Mississippi rivers are very defined by the absence of light. In some ways that is impressive and sad.

I can tell we’ve passed the top of the arc between Cincinnati and St. Louis; we’re in a slight descent now. In a matter of minutes, the pilot will tell us to turn off the electric devices.

Back home, the kids have been in bed for two hours now. I will be in one in about 90 minutes, at which point Marcy will be getting up to change a diaper.

I will call her then.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff, I don't know if you'll check this while you're still out of town, but if you do, the kids and I are doing great. That still sounds funny to me, the kids and I. Clara Grace asked about you today. When the little boy who came to visit her left, his mommy said, "Let's go see Daddy." Clara Grace got all excited and exclaimed, "See Daddy, see Daddy!" I told her you'd be here tomorrow night and she was fine with that.

As usual, I absolutely loved reading your blog. The description of flying over Chattanooga was facinating. I'm so glad you're writing down your thoughts so regularly now. It's wonderful to read how you feel about me and the kids. There it is again, maybe I'll get more used to it if I say it enough.

Marcy

Spellbound said...

I do love flying. You may have seen my post(s) on going to Seattle to visit my son and his wife. Looking down from on high makes us all feel like Gods, even though we have no control over anything, even trusting the pilot has as much to live for as ourselves. My baby girl, the one who mutilated and mounted her Barbies at age 12, is now 25 and lives in London. I had the delight of flying over the UK to visit her and plan to go again in the spring. For all her fearlessness about life, she is terrified of flying, an irony for someone who lives on a small island 7000 miles from her native land. She is much more comfortable in her own skin now, but continues to have some issues now and again with food, as do I. She however is slim, while I went to the dark side of my previous anorexic issues and gained a lot of weight. I have been taking that off in the last 4 months and find I still have to be very careful with the seduction and power trip of anorexia. I don’t think I would have ever come to my own understanding of my issues if I did not have my amazing daughter.

My cyber relationship with my blog friends has been very rewarding too. I don’t have time to keep up with it all, yet I continue to do so because I am a bit addicted. No, no, I can quit anytime I want. Really. Blogging has allowed me to meet wonderful people from all over the world. I have a friend in Canada that is an amazing writer and we email each other stories for critique from time to time. We encourage each other, but I think he may have the greater talent, but less time and discipline than I. The blog has been cathartic, allowing me to make changes in my life I didn’t know I needed till I had the creative outlet. My college degree is in IT, oddly enough, so writing is truly an odd avocation in the world of high tech.

Goodness, I did not mean to go on so. I will bookmark you and check back, but you may have to be patient with me because I’m in a lull right now because of the demands of my book, and also that 40 to 60 hours I spend making a living each week. You know the drill. =)

valis said...

I know of what you speak. I just finished back to back weeks of traveling (of course you know this since I saw you all in Chattanooga). I rarely fly when I go anywhere - mostly my travel is in state. Still it's nice to get away and eat great dinners with adult human beings and stay in a hotel room for a few days that you can walk through without crushing cheerios under your feet.

But I don't get to see my son's goofy smile first thing in the morning. I don't get to set on a couch with him and see what's happening with King Friday in the Land of Make-Believe in re-runs of Mr. Rogers and wonder if this is an episode I watched myself many years ago.

I don't get to read my daughter books at night. I don't get to drive her to school in the morning and walk her to her classroom. I could drive through the line and drop her off, but I prefer parking the truck a couple of blocks away and walking her all the way in and helping her hang up her backpack and jacket. She's already said something a few mornings about wanting to go into school by herself and I know someday soon that will all be over. I guess it has to be. ("Um..., Like... Who's that gross old dude standing by your locker??!!! That's not like your like DAD is it???!!!).

You're a good man Charlie Brown.

Variations On A Theme said...

As delightful as it is, there's definitely a downside to reading your blogs. It makes us miss you even more. David was bemoaning that to me earlier today. I'm glad (and jealous) that he got to see you guys.