Saturday, September 23, 2006

Time is of the Essence

“I am bionic man.”

It was three in the morning and I was thinking this because I was strapping a watch to my wrist. “I am strapping a time-keeping device to my arm,” I said, “and I’ve done it everyday for at least 15 years.” My sleeplessness was due to the fact that I was not feeling well, so I was moving my resting quarters to the futon in the music room to keep from waking my wife. The watch has an alarm built in, which would get me up in time for work. As I pushed the little metal prongs that produced lights, beeps, and a wake-up time of 5:30, I mumbled again, “I’m like 1/1000th machine.”

Hey, I realize how cliché this is to begin with, and millions of people are much closer to being classified as bionic people than I am. I mean, I don’t have an internal pacemaker in my chest or a cell phone clipped to my ear, nor can I operate a PS2 or N64 controller like it is some extension of my body. But at three in the morning, I think about the dumbest things in the weirdest way.

And I did begin to wonder about it. When did I institute watch-wearing and why? The watch I had on my wrist now is comfortable enough that I just might be able to drift back off to sleep, but as a kid my watch-wearing episodes were always thwarted by the discomfort of having it on my arm.

Mom gave me my first watch when I was in Kindergarten, probably as a way to teach me time-telling skills. It was also about the time that mom put a fat old log, a box of nails, and a 16-ounce hammer on the back porch and told us we could hit nails into the log as much as I wanted. And I wanted. I nearly gave that log a metal sheathing while unknowingly building gross-motor skills. Anyway, I loved the first watch; it had a tiny white analog face with miniscule black hands and band and silver trim. I wore it for quite a while on my right arm because I am right-handed and it made sense to me that the right arm should get all the privileges. But, it was not perfectly comfortable and I never really needed to know what time it was. I’m sure it wasn’t very long before that watch disappeared.

Throughout elementary school, though, I always wanted watches. I would use my allowance to buy a cheap, black plastic digital watch at K-Mart for around three or four dollars. I especially liked digital watches that had a timer feature. It would always last for a few weeks or months; I would forget to put it on sometimes and then the watch would disappear.

When I was ten, Dad told me that I should be wearing my watch on my left arm, which I tried and found to be uncomfortable and counter-intuitive. Dad wore his the opposite way than I did—on his left arm with the watch pressed against the inside of his wrist. He would have to turn his hand palm-up in order to see the watch’s face. There is a picture of me somewhere in my Cub Scout uniform holding a hamster, and you can read the time on my black plastic watch that is strapped to my right arm. It was a little after four in the afternoon, if I remember correctly. But I digress.

So how do people develop the habit of wearing a watch so faithfully? 100 years ago, pocket watches were primarily status symbols and wristwatches were for women only. Some men back then actually said they would wear a skirt before they wore a wristwatch. However, handy time-keeping devices were becoming increasingly useful in war tactics, so by the time World War I came around, soldiers almost universally wore wristwatches. With a little advertising work by the Rolex company, it was a short step from soldier wartime essential to everyday fashion. I guess that’s why you see camouflage in Wal-Mart and bright yellow Humvees on Main Street.

Status symbols and soldier idolatry. So now it is Saturday morning and I am surrounded by time. The computer monitor has it in the lower right corner, the phone reports it, and believe it or not my VCR is always set to the right time. Despite all this, I have already habitually strapped on my wristwatch even though I have not taken the time to put on some pants yet. It is 5:17 am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing and certainly a seasoned writer. I enjoyed reading, reminiscing and being enlightened with each of your entries. Your descriptions put me into the moment and I felt it was my moment, my memory and that I was reliving the moment too. I forget sometimes some of the events and stories from your childhood. It is a pleasure to be reminded of certain things and also to see the event from your perspective.

Dad is putting all of the family videos and Super 8 movies onto DVD's; quite a project. We just watched one the other night of you when you were 15 and worked at Ric's in Interlochen. It was a time I remember and reflect on fondly. All my children were living at home, but each one was on their own unique path to independence and adulthood. How fun it has been to watch each of you make that journey. I admit I miss having each of you around with all your creativity and energy. A different style of music coming from each room, most would view it as confusion and noise, but I saw it as an audible display of your individuality. I loved it ....most of the time. Although I must admit sometimes Steve’s drumming would take over my every thought or my thoughts developed to what ever beat he was practicing.

When you all grew up and the sounds of the house quieted and the energy of extra people, kids, teens in the house stopped...I learned how loud quiet could be. I am learning to get used to it.

About your entry today: You are not wearing a watch in this photo, but time has passed and I wanted to take the time to relive on of my favorite memories of you. It was captured on film. Remember a time when we had film? When you were first born we didn’t have a camera, but it was one of the first things we did purchase. We would take pictures of you, but we couldn’t afford to get them developed. Sometimes it was 6 months to a year before we developed them. We would put in or two rolls in at a time.

One of my favorite pictures of you is when we lived at the Interlochen house on Faculty Lane. You were 5 years old. You laid a piece of board across a wooden crate. The crate was right-side up filled with other pieces of wood. You are squatting on the piece of wood that you had straddled across the crate while you sawed on the other end. Your tongue is sticking out and you are concentrating rally hard. You also have a large ring of keys hooked to your belt loop. You have the coolest work boots on.

I know most comments are not novels. But again I am not most people. Sorry it became longer than I intended, but when a good thought comes you can’t stop it, or at least you shouldn’t stop it. I will send the picture to you through your e-mail.

Some night this week when you can’t sleep you will get up at 2:30 or 3:00 a.m., start to journal, see you have a comment, then you too will reminisce and possibly chuckle at this memory of mine as I have reading your account of certain memories of yours.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Ma Bear said...
What other links are there? What options do I have? Thanks for the encouragement. It takes me a while to get the wheels moving to write, but when I finish a peice I have a great feeling of accomplishment evenif I know I will be the only one to read it. Although I am more inspired to write with more depth knowing someone will read it and hopefully enjoy the thoughts I share.

9/23/2006 8:24 PM