Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Spelling Bee

From the way I see it, the Spelling Bee is a good way to discourage 90% of each classroom from being excited about spelling as we send 10% of each classroom off to compete with all the other ten percents. Then, in the school wide spelling bee, you have the unique opportunity to make 9 out of the 10 best spellers in the school go home crying.

Today was our school spelling bee for 2nd and 3rd graders. It left me wondering, “What are Spelling Bees supposed to do? Can someone tell me again?”

I am an amazingly good speller, as was my father before me, as was his mother before him. I am terrible at Spelling Bees, as was my father before me. I don’t know about his mother on that one. In 4th, 5th, and 6th grade, I always did well on the spelling bees, but made ridiculous errors near the end. In 7th grade, I was determined to win—not because I wanted the “gold” bee on a trophy, but because my teacher said she had never had a spelling bee winner in her three years of teaching. And, I was relatively in love with her. This would be my way to be her hero. I told her I would win the spelling bee for her.

In the classroom preliminaries, my first word was “park”.

“Park,” I said. “P-R-A-K. Park.” She corrected me, and I was immediately embarrassed. But, then she threw it out and gave me a new word. She was giving me a break! She liked me! That was my only mistake. After that, I was careful and ended up representing our class against 28 other contestants in 7th grade. Out of a grade level of nearly 1,000 students, I was pretty proud.

My dad came to watch the spelling bee contest, held in our spacious school library. I sailed through my first two words, as did everyone else. My third word was “historical”.

“Historical.” I took a deep breath; this would be easy. “H-I-S,” I breathed quickly. “T-O-R-I-C-A-L.” I sat down smugly. But, I was called back up. The word was judged to be incorrect. I challenged it. They played back the tape. I had started so quickly that the only thing anyone heard—including the tape recorder—was “H-S…T-O-R-I-C-A-L.” The “I” was absent; even I had to admit it.

My romantic prospects went down the drain. I sat next to my teacher for a few moments, and she offered no consolation. Then I asked if I could sit with my dad, and she said that would be OK.

After the Spelling Bee, dad said, “You know, in my seventh grade spelling bee, I went out on the word ‘park’. I spelled it P-R-A-K.”

5 comments:

wordsonwater said...

you might want to enable the show word verfication on the comments section of your dashboard so you don't get spammed.

I wanted to thank you first for the lovely comment on WOW. I have submitted some things for publication and have published a few pieces. I sent one to the SUN right after Christmas and am hoping it may be selected. I write for the love of it, not for any other reason except that I need to do so.

I also love your spelling bee story. I am the world's worst speller, not even getting much better after spending 10 years in the public school system. Let's say I am creative with spelling and always got two grades on every paper in school, one for content A+ Yeah!! and the other for spelling. D- usually. They averaged out to not so good a grade, and I almost gave up on writing, but not quite. All three of my children always won the spelling bees. It freaked me out, honestly.

wordsonwater said...

Oh, Michelle is doing fine, she starts her second round of Chemo tomorrow. The first round has reduced the terrible swelling in her belly and she is as skinny as before. The hair is falling out, but she's still got the great attitude. I think she'll make it, but of course, this illness never really goes away and she will have to be ever villigent. Oh,sorry if I spelled anything wrong in either of those posts =)

Suzanna said...

Is it okay if I laughed at the end of that story?

The heart of a young boy is a very serious thing.
That's why Dads watch and wait from the back of the room.

Variations On A Theme said...

That is hillarrious!!!! :)

Rainbow dreams said...

This, made me smile... :) cheers