Thursday, September 06, 2007

Thoreau Schmoreau

In order for this post to make sense, you must have already read my other posting, Thoreau's Nightmare. (next one down)

Our airconditioning is out. I realize I don't want to live overly simply. I like airconditioning in 97 degree weather. I like heat in winter. The couch is quite comfortable. Maybe we don't have too many coffee cups after all. I think I can live with all the other plastic drivel if we just get this airconditioning fixed.

And why was Thoreau dusting stones anyway? That guy needed to get a job. Until I have airconditioning, I won't say otherwise. No wonder nobody bought his book. He even had to self-publish. He once said, "I have a library of 900 books, and I wrote 700 of them." Well, what do you expect if you tell people to live that simply and there is no airconditioning? People can't be reasonable when there is no airconditioning. It's too hot to think.

The ceiling fans are doing a great job of blowing hot air around. Kind of like Thoreau, I imagine. Telling people he--a writer--was farming because he wanted to make the earth say 'beans' instead of 'grass'. What kind of an answer is that? And once he said that he lost a horse, a turtle dove and a bay hound. And a person--a quite reasonable person--asked what he meant by that and Thoreau said, "Haven't you?" like it was some kind of answer. Nothin' but hot air. I'da slapped him.

I'm calling the aircondition people first thing in the morning; I don't care what it costs. Get me some cold air. I'm sweating in my underwear.

6 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

Perhaps the hot air got to Thoreau's brain... noone is going to make sense in such high temperatures...or equally if it was freezing cold...

hope the air conditioning gets fixed soon, Katie

Variations On A Theme said...

Thanks for the hearty, yet smirky laugh I just had in your honor. Love it. Love it. You too.

Paulson said...

OK, the air conditioner is fixed at $200. I'm feeling a little silly now for "venting" like that. And at $200, I'm thinking maybe Thoreau was right...

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Jeff, hope you don't mind I just tagged you about books and reading, hope you're having a good weekend

Anonymous said...

Thoreau he meant that we create inevitable losses when we claim possessions. I laugh when i hear of people who lost all their possessions in a flood or fire, because if they had no possessions, there would be no problem. You would simply shrug, and move on.

You do it to yourself, you do. And that's why it really hurts.

Jamaal Milner said...

Aww, don’t feel too bad about venting about the heat! We’re experiencing heat unlike anything we’ve experienced before, and whether or not it’s because of global warming is certainly still up in the air. It’s been a few years since this post, but I’m glad that your AC was soon fixed. Air conditioning may have been a luxury before, but nowadays, it’s become a necessity to have at least one installed inside a home. Your need for it is completely justified!